“The main issue is the nature of salvation, in that, if a person becomes saved, it is not because they said a prayer or conjured up any belief from within themselves: regeneration (being given new life) is a sovereign act done by God according to His will, not the will of man. The fact is that man by nature is wicked and will not seek for God and cannot come to Jesus unless the Father draws him (the picture is a man drawing water out of a well). Man has NO desire for God or anything righteous, and has lost the ability to come to God. This was a result of the fall. Another result is that the guilt of Adam’s sin was imputed (charged to the account of) every person he represented, which is the whole human race. So, we are guilty of God’s eternal wrath, for Adam’s sin and for our sin, and the penalty must be paid in order for God’s holiness to be maintained — His justice against sin must be carried out.” (emphasis added)
Q: What is effectual calling?
A: Effectual calling is the work of God’s Spirit, whereby, convincing us of our sin and misery, enlightening our minds in the knowledge of Christ, and renewing our wills, he doth persuade and enable us to embrace Jesus Christ, freely offered to us in the gospel.
- 2 Timothy 1:8-9. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.
- Ephesians 1:18-20. The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places.
- Acts 2:37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
- Acts 26:18. To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
- Ezekiel 11:19. And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh.
- Ezekiel 36:26-27. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
- John 6:44-45. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
- Philippians 2:13. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
- Deuteronomy 30:6. And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
- Ephesians 2:5. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved).