Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations, and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills [i.e. Rome] will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The End..
With the recent dramatic resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, speculation has run rampant as to who will replace him and why he even resigned in the first place. Here are some of the claims I’ve come across:
- The Pope has resigned to make room for “Peter the Roman,” the prophesied last Pope of the Roman Catholic Church (see quote above).
Not all Catholics interpret the prophecy this way. The Wikipedia article cited above also states,
Many analyses of the prophecy note that it is open to the interpretation that additional popes would come between the “glory of the olive” and Peter the Roman. Popular speculation by proponents of the prophecy attach this prediction to Benedict XVI’s anticipated successor.
Only time will tell if “Peter the Roman” is the next Pope (Here is one person people think may fulfill this prophecy). However, if this claim is true, that would seem to indicate that the Roman Catholic Church views its days as numbered and drawing to a close since the prophecy says the city will be destroyed and “the dreadful judge will judge his people.” This is interesting in light of those in the historicist camp who have fingered 2015 as the year the Lord will pour out the seventh vial of judgement. We shall see, shan’t we?
An interesting development considering the prophesied claims of persecution: Celebrating a Pope-Free World
- The Pope is old and tired and was perhaps pushed out by those in the Church who disagree with his policies: Was the Pope pushed? An abuse scandal, corruption and the dark intrigue behind Benedict’s shock resignation:
And what really happened at the Friday meeting? Though held in secret, reports in the Italian press claim there was a heated argument between the men over the fraught question of how the Church should deal with clergy accused of sexual abuse.
A more plausible explanation is perhaps that constant exposure to Vatican politics had left the monkish and cerebral Benedict tired and desperate to find an escape.
- The Pope’s resignation was strategic, perhaps to allow someone who is younger, healthier, and more full of energy to take the helm as the Church battles both internal and external opponents: Benedict’s renunciation and the wolves within the church
I suspect that Benedict knows the restoration and cleaning up of the filth and rebellion within the Church has to continue with haste because of an ominous, rapidly growing cloud of persecution on the horizon at a time when the wisdom and inspiration of the Church will be greatly needed. Perhaps he sees clearer than most what is coming and that there is no time to have an incapacitated pope leading the Church. His resignation was a proactive action.
- The Pope jumped ship after being informed of a scandal about to rock the Roman Catholic Church: Pope Benedict resigned after being handed report into gay sex and corruption in Vatican, says newspaper:
The Italian newspaper said that the report shocked Pope Benedict and contributed to his decision to resign.
Another source, PressTV’s article, ‘Decadent West naked in coffin of shame’, claims:
Yesterday we learned the real reason for the Pope’s resignation: The Church has been penetrated, at its highest levels, by a homosexual embezzlement ring…
This report, Dr. Moynihan tells us, “overwhelmed his spirit within him” and “made his heart desolate.”
- The Pope was seeking to avoid arrest for crimes against humanity, etc.: Pope Benedict to seek immunity and protection from Italian President Giorgio Napolitano on February 23:
Ratzinger’s meeting follows upon the apparent receipt by the Vatican of a diplomatic note from an undisclosed European government on February 4, stating its intention to issue an arrest warrant for Ratzinger, who resigned from his pontificate less than a week later.
- Today’s Show: THE POPE SEEKS IMMUNITY from Noise of Thunder Radio (only available free for a short time)
- Pope Benedict resigned to avoid arrest, seizure of church wealth by Easter from itccs
- Guilty! from itccs
These are just some of the speculations I’ve seen. If you know of any others, feel free to comment!